Thursday, June 12, 2008

Professional Investigator License in Michigan

This is another example of how the government in the state of Michigan is trying to screw with it's residents. They have already done enough harm to this state I am not sure why they wanted to do more. I will only hit on a few things here. If you want to read the whole thing you can find it here

Now according to the new law it takes effect immediately. Now what does this do to your current case load. Do you go and find a PI that will allow you to go under there license? If you want to still practice you will. There is a lead time of aprox 12 weeks in order to get thru the process. The funny thing is as of yesterday they do not have the new application to use to apply for the license. Now how can a law go into effect and there be no lead time in order to get your affairs together? Brilliant thinking on the Legislature's part

Now for those that do happen to read this bill here is the intro to it:

"An act to license and regulate professional investigators; to provide for certain powers and duties for certain state agencies and local officials; to provide for the imposition for certain fees; to protect the general public against unauthorized,
unlicensed and unethical operations by professional investigators; to provide for immunity for certain persons under certain circumstances; to provide for penalties and remedies; and to repeal acts and parts of acts."


Now reading the law they have there standard requirements about age, felonies but here is where it gets interesting:

"A graduate of an accredited institution of higher education with a baccalaureate or postgraduate degree in the field of police administration, security management, investigation, law, criminal justice, or computer forensics or other computer forensic industry certificated study that is acceptable to the department."

Now I can have a degree in Police Administration, investigation or Criminal Justice and practice forensics? Yep that is what it says. So do I really need to know anything about computer forensics to practice if I have a 4 year degree in CJ? I can easily go purchase any of the packages and hang my shingle out and state I practice Computer Forensics. So that being said I do not see where this has helped out the general public except to put decent forensic examiners out of work until they can get there license, which without the proper applications being made available may take some time if they even get them out there.

Now do not get me wrong I think regulation is fine, as an industry we probably should be regulated but not with laws like this. But in true State of Michigan fashion lets do a crappy job and not think things thru. For being a full time Legislature you would think they would do a better job.

Living and practicing in the State of Michigan I am waiting for the proper applications to be made available so I can apply. We will see how it goes. I hope I meet their criteria to be able to practice Computer Forensics.

Questions/Comments/Thoughts??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The PI lobby must be awfully strong. Seems they're getting these laws passed all over the country. I'm with you, regulation is fine, as long as it's sensible and enacted properly.

I figure I better get into CF now as a cop, because once I retire I won't be able to do it anymore. After all these years in LE, I still don't qualify according to the State of Illinois to be a PI.